The Ontario Power Authority is a not-for-profit corporation with a mandate from the Ontario government to ensure a reliable, sustainable supply of electricity for the province.
It has three key areas of focus:
The Ontario Power Authority is responsible for designing and implementing the FIT and microFIT programs, which include the program rules, price schedule, contracts, registration, application and contracting processes as well as ongoing contract management activities.
The OPA does not own or operate electricity generation facilities but, in some cases, the OPA signs power puchase agreements with generators. In 2009, close to 11,000 MW of energy supply contracts were managed by the Ontario Power Authority (excluding standard offer projects), with 17 percent representing renewable energy capacity.
Once they have signed contracts with the Ontario Power Authority, FIT and microFIT Program generators will become generation partners in Ontario's renewable energy future.
Approximately 70 percent of Ontario's electricity is generated by Ontario Power Generation at its hydroelectric, nuclear and fossil fuel stations. Independent power producers generate the remaining 30 percent.